Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Here's another version of same shirtdress I made last fall, once again using Simplicity 2246 (albeit two sizes larger this time - argh!). I used a stretch cotton poplin for the bodice and a Lisette cotton twill for the skirt. Both fabrics have a lot of crispness and body to them, so I opted to pleat in the skirt's fullness instead of gathering.
I also added piping at the waistline, an idea I stole from one of Casey's recent posts. I thought it would add a little more definition between the skirt and the bodice. However, I found I prefer the look of a belt instead.
I am not sure why, but I'm not very thrilled with the way this dress turned out. I'm not so sure I like the style of the sleeves and I wish I'd chosen a bolder print for the skirt. There's nothing wrong with it, and I'll certainly be wearing it as I don't have a lot of other options! I'm a little more excited about version #2, which I plan to modify into a shirtwaist with a fuller skirt. Blue chambray fabric, you're next!