- 1 lb. leeks
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. cooking apples, such as MacIntosh, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 lb. red potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- Lady apple slices for garnish (optional)
2. Melt butter in large heavy saucepan. Add chopped leeks. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes until transparent, stirring often.
3. Add apples, potatoes, chicken broth, and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until apples and potatoes are tender.
4. Puree vegetables with 1/2 cup cooking liquid in blender until smooth. Stir into remaining cooking liquid in saucepan. Add half-and-half, coriander, and white pepper. Mix well.
5. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Garnish each serving with lady apple slices, and fashion apple stem and leaves from reserved green leek tops.
Yield: 6 servings.
--from the January 1990 issue of "Victoria" magazine