Sunday, June 5, 2011

Ikat maxi dress


Ikat maxi dress

My mother-in-law recently commissioned me to make a maxi dress for my sister-in-law Emily, using some pretty aqua batik rayon and Simplicity 2579. It was such a quick and easy pattern I decided to make a version for myself, too. Of course, I ended up making some changes to mine so it wasn't so quick and easy anymore.

I added a ruffle to the bottom of the skirt for fun, and some shell buttons to the shoulders for nursing access. This pattern runs quite small in the bust so I also did a full bust adjustment using the instructions from Fit for Real People. It wasn't as hard or complex as it sounds, and the ensuing fit is great (after taking in the sides a lot -- way too much ease, as usual!).

I used a semi-sheer cotton lawn from Fashion Fabrics Club and lined it with plain cotton. The skirt is also lined to the ruffle, which is not in the pattern -- I just cut extra skirt pieces from the lining cotton and treated them as one with the cotton lawn when gathering and attaching the skirt to the midriff.

I love the finished dress -- it is very comfortable and easy to wear, and since it's all cotton it keeps me cool. I'm going to be wearing this aaaall summer long!

12 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Laura! You are so gifted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely dress, and my, you are a gorgeous woman! Your husband is lucky to have you :) I wish you well to wear your dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Excellent work, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love it!!! i would love to be as talented to make one just like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your encouraging comments, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress! I am so inspired to make one now! Actually I linked to this post from my blog as one of my inspirations - I hope this is ok, if not please let me know.

    http://pursuingthecalling.blogspot.com/2011/06/this-weeks-inspiration.html

    ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous dress, Laura! In fact, you've inspired me so much that I bought a maxi dress pattern yesterday to give it a try. I've got a cotton sari here that I think would work well for this pattern. You're quite a bit taller than I am, but it's too cute not to try :-)

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth, that is great -- a sari fabric sounds like a beautiful choice! I will have to tuck that idea away for future reference! Enjoy your sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous dress, Laura! I love the fabric you selected as well. You always look beautiful!

    I'm pinning this on one of my Pinterest boards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Keri! I'm glad you like it! I haven't figured out Pinterest yet... I'm afraid I'll get completely addicted. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it is quite addicting, but a great way to organize ideas!

    ReplyDelete