My mother-in-law recently commissioned me to make a maxi dress for my sister-in-law Emily, using some pretty aqua batik rayon and Simplicity 2579. It was such a quick and easy pattern I decided to make a version for myself, too. Of course, I ended up making some changes to mine so it wasn't so quick and easy anymore.
I added a ruffle to the bottom of the skirt for fun, and some shell buttons to the shoulders for nursing access. This pattern runs quite small in the bust so I also did a full bust adjustment using the instructions from Fit for Real People. It wasn't as hard or complex as it sounds, and the ensuing fit is great (after taking in the sides a lot -- way too much ease, as usual!).
I used a semi-sheer cotton lawn from Fashion Fabrics Club and lined it with plain cotton. The skirt is also lined to the ruffle, which is not in the pattern -- I just cut extra skirt pieces from the lining cotton and treated them as one with the cotton lawn when gathering and attaching the skirt to the midriff.
I love the finished dress -- it is very comfortable and easy to wear, and since it's all cotton it keeps me cool. I'm going to be wearing this aaaall summer long!