Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy St. Valentine's Day!


white hyacinths
[White hyacinths Douglas gave me for St. Valentine's Day]

Are you doing anything to celebrate St. Valentine's Day? Douglas and I had a special dinner last night, since he is working tonight. I chose to fix dishes that don't take too much preparation, but are still something fun and special. Our menu was as follows:
  • organic roasted red pepper and tomato soup with sour cream and dill
  • Welsh rarebit
  • brussels sprouts
  • burgundy mushrooms
  • Peter Rabbit chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream (so called because the recipe comes from one of my brother's childhood cookbooks)
After dinner, we watched The Young Victoria, which I had been wanting to see for a while. I'm always up for a good costume drama. :)

5 comments:

  1. Your dinner sounds delightful! I hope you enjoyed "Victoria", it's one of my favorites. Happy Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll echo Caroline say that your Valentine's dinner sounds really good! I always enjoy reading about what people put together for special meals.

    How did you like the Young Victoria? I watched it shortly before I left for college, and really liked it except for the one fact that I wished it was longer. =)

    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri, I enjoyed the movie overall -- the costumes were stunning (obviously) and the storyline interesting. I'm afraid I don't know enough about Victoria's reign to comment on the accuracy of what was depicted. Like you, it piqued my interest to learn more about the politics of the Victorian era.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched a film the other evening called "Bright Star" about the poet John Keats. It was a PG rating and the costumes were very lovely. This is one you may want to check out if you enjoy his poetry and it's a period drama (1818, London). It's also available for immediate streaming at Netflix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, it's funny you should mention that -- I read "The Eve of St. Agnes" a few weeks ago and the next day, stumbled across an essay about John and Fanny which I read aloud to Douglas. I would be interested to see "Bright Star." We're not Netflix members but I'll see if I can get it through inter-library loan!

    ReplyDelete