Monday, September 6, 2010

McCall's 5721: 3-in-1 shopping cart cover


shopping cart/high chair cover

My baby has a propensity for gnawing on any germ-covered surface within reach, so I made this shopping cart/high chair cover so he can chew on fabric instead of the latest virus to be going around. ;-) (You can't see the fabric very well in this photo, but it's covered with old-fashioned toys of all kinds.)

What looks like an easy project actually took me some time. There are two pockets with loops for toys on the inside of the cover, plus a larger bag on the backside which the entire cover can be folded into when not in use. I have found that the two pockets are probably overkill and you could get away with one or none at all, although the loops to attach toys are handy. The pattern calls for self-made bias tape, but I skipped that step and used pre-packaged. The instructions aren't always the greatest, but if you use your common sense you'll come out on top!

10 comments:

  1. I must confess, Laura, that I noticed your darling chap's C.U.T.E. smile before I noticed the shopping cart cover. =) And yes, the fabric is adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen one of those. In use, I mean. But I've often wondered how people with children can let them put so many strange things near their mouths. I'm glad to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting ready to work up the same pattern. Thanks for the tips about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Laura! I didn't even know they had a pattern for that. And what an adorable baby!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Edmund is too cute!

    I've seen patterns for shopping cart covers before, but they looked like so much work! I'm glad to hear a review of one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there - I found your blog as I've been researching making one of these. Pattern and fabric are bought, and as I was laying out the fabric to cut, I realized it had shrank so much that the pattern piece doesn't fit (I bought 45" wide fabric, and it's probably shrunk 2-3"). As you've used this, do you have some "give" to how much fabric you need? I'm trying to decide if I just need to use the fabric for a different project now, or if I can sew it a little shorter and still be ok. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I think you'll be fine! I haven't yet encountered a shopping cart or high chair that stretches this cover to its utmost. If anything, there's a little too much fabric to deal with at times.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful! Thank you so much for your quick response. I was feeling a little bummed I had bought all that fabric and wasn't going to be able to make it!

      Delete