Thursday, July 22, 2010

Antiquing with Cheri

Uncle Tom's cabin happens to be just a hop, skip, and a jump from where Cheri lives, so one afternoon while the guys recuperated from their mountain hiking, Edmund and I drove down to meet up with her! Cheri kindly gave me a tour of her sewing room so now I can envision where she sews all of her beautiful projects, including the aprons she sells through her Etsy store, Peasant Cottage. Then she introduced me to a few of her favorite antique stores. (The antique shopping near where I live isn't much to write home about, so this was a lot of fun for me.)

St. Elmo

I found an inexpensive copy of "St. Elmo" by Augusta J. Evans -- not a book I know much about, but I remembered that Lanier had given it a nod on her lovely website, Lanier's Books. Since I tend to share her tastes, I figured I'd enjoy reading it. And the cover cracks me up -- rather tame compared to today's romance covers, eh? ;)

I also found two silver candlestick holders so it was a fruitful shopping excursion for me. It was delightful to spend a few hours in the company of a kindred spirit -- thanks again, Cheri! (I forgot to bring my camera along, but Cheri posted a few photos from our visit.)

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely treasure! I love that Art Nouveau border; so scrumptious! I rather enjoyed "St. Elmo" -- one of my only exposures so far to the Gothic romance novels of the Victorian era. It reminds me of a "Christianized" Jane Eyre.

    It sounds like you had a wonderful visit!

    Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love visiting Lanier's Books, she writes so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me, it was my pleasure! =) It isn't too often I am blessed with the company of like-minded friends!

    Oh yes, and when you picked up "St. Elmo" and mentioned that you read a good review of it on Lanier's blog, you asked if I follow her blog, and I must have not heard you correctly as I said that I didn't, but I DO read it and love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. St.Elmo is by far one of my favorite books! Over the years I have truly enjoyed collecting and reading the books of Augusta Evans Wilson. The Christian messages woven through each story always mean so much to me.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete